York Region (also known as the Regional Municipality of York) is a municipality located directly across Toronto’s northern border. With a population of 1,024,225, it is one of the country’s largest municipalities.
The region is composed of a number of towns and cities with the majority of the population living in Markham, Vaughan and Richmond Hill. York region has a very diverse population and 45% of its residents were born outside of Canada.
There are an estimated 50,000 local businesses in York Region, making it Ontario’s second largest business centre after Toronto. These businesses include many firms in the fields of Information and Communications Technology (ICT), manufacturing and construction. The household income in the region is high in comparison to other areas of the province.
York Region's top industries are:
- retail trade
- professional, scientific and technical services
- health care and social services
- finance and insurance
- educational services
- wholesale trade
- accommodation and food services
- administrative and support, waste management and remediation services
Some of York Region's top employers include:
- Acklands Grainger
- AMD Technologies
- American Express
- Canada’s Wonderland
- Canadian National Railways
- CGI Information Systems
- City of Vaughan
- IBM Canada Ltd.
- Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital
- Magna International
- Markham Stouffville Hospital
- Nova Services Group
- Regional Municipality of York
- Royal Building Products
- Southlake Regional Health Centre
- State Farm Insurance
- TD Waterhouse Inc.
- The Miller Group – Miller Paving Ltd.
- United Parcel Services Canada Ltd.
- Vision Group of Companies