Skip Breadcrumb Links
How do I create a good cover letter?
Your cover letter is your sales pitch. You are the product.
A good cover letter can help you get an interview. These tips can help you create a good cover letter.
Address it to a Specific Person
- Include the name of the department and company.
- Create a header that includes your name and contact information. Use this header in both your cover letter and résumé.
- Open with a catchy, attention-grabbing first sentence. It should state the name of the position you are applying for.
Do Not Write Too Much
- Include information about your relevant work experience but leave lots of white space. Too much text can make the person reading it feel overwhelmed. Give them “room to breathe.”
Let Them Know What You Can Do
- Focus on what you can bring to the job and employer.
- Do not talk about what you want to learn in the position.
- Show what your experience can bring to this job.
- Choose words that show you are excited about the job.
- Find out about the company. Knowing about the company and job helps people see that you are interested.
- End the letter by politely requesting an action you would like the employer to take. For example, you can politely ask that they contact you to arrange a time for an interview.
For More Information
November 9, 2015