Skip Breadcrumb Links
What is the weather like in Ontario?
Ontario is a large province. The weather depends on where you are.
Ontario has 4 seasons: summer, fall, winter and spring. Usually January is the coldest month of the year, and July is the warmest.
The northern part of the province has longer and colder winters than southern Ontario.
- Spring - March 20 to June 20
Spring is a rainy season in most parts of Ontario. Make sure you have an umbrella and raincoat to stay dry. Average daytime temperatures are about 8°C in March and rise slowly through the rest of the season. The nights are cool.
- Summer - June 21 to September 21
July and August can be very hot and humid. In southern Ontario, daytime temperatures are usually above 20°C and sometimes above 30°C. In the summer you should wear a hat and sunscreen to prevent sunburn.
- Fall (or Autumn) - September 22 to December 20
The weather gets cooler, the days get shorter, and the leaves on many trees change colour and fall to the ground. The early part of fall is rainy in some parts of Ontario. However, in some northern parts of Ontario, it may start snowing in October. The temperature slowly drops during fall. Make sure you wear a jacket and take an umbrella with you so you can stay warm and dry.
- Winter - December 21 to March 19
In winter, it is cold and snows often. The temperature in most of the province is often below 0°C, day and night. Temperatures can drop below -30°, which can be dangerous if you do not have the right clothing. In the winter you should dress in layers and wear a hat to stay warm.
Where can I get the weather forecast?
You can find out about the weather in your area by listening to the radio, watching television, reading the newspaper or checking online.
For More Information
June 27, 2013
- Canadian Weather Network - An online and television service that provides weather forecasts and warnings. Their website also has useful travel information.
- Weather Conditions and Forecasts in Ontario - Weather information from the Government of Canada.
- Weather & Geography - Information about the weather in Ontario, and links to good sites where you can learn more about the geography of Ontario.
- Winter Road Conditions Reports - Reports on the driving conditions on roads from the end of October to April each year.
- Dress For Winter - A short animated video that shows how children should dress for Canada's winter.
- Sun Safety - Learn how to protect you and your children from overexposure to the sun. From the Canada Safety Council.