Skip Breadcrumb Links
What are settlement services?
Settlement services are for newcomers to Canada. These services will help you settle and adjust to your new life in Canada.
Settlement services include:
- Interpretation and translation of documents, or help to arrange these services
- Help filling out forms and applications
- English as a Second Language (ESL) classes
- Help finding a job or training
- Information about other community services, schools and health care
These services are often free. They are always confidential.
Many settlement agencies have staff who can speak languages other than English. If you go to a settlement agency and they do not have the service or language you need, they will help you find another agency that does.
Settlement agencies can also be called immigrant- or refugee-serving agencies, or newcomer services. Some schools and libraries have settlement services too.
Many agencies have eligibility requirements that you have to meet to use their services. For example, you might have to live in a certain area, or have a certain immigration status.
Search for settlement services near you in Services Near Me.
For More Information
- 211 Ontario - Search for settlement and other community services all over Ontario.
- NewYouth.ca - An information and referral website for newcomer (immigrant and refugee) youth across Ontario. Get information about school, law, work, health and more. It is a project of the Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants (OCASI).
July 14, 2015