Go to Services Near Me map

Upper Canada District School Board - Language Instruction for Newcomers and English as a Second Language

Coordinated Language Assessment and Referral Centre -- Eligibility screening, language skills assessment and referral to government-funded English language programs including Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC), LINC Home Study, English as a Second Language (ESL), Enhanced Language Training (ELT), Occupation-Specific Language Training (OSLT), and Specialized Language Training (SLT)

LINC Assessment Centre -- Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) -- assessment of English language skills for settlement-based language training program
  • referral to community-based organization LINC programs for English as a second Language (ESL) classes
  • information and referral on settlement needs
  • funded by Canada Citizenship and Immigration
LINC -- Participates in LINC (Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada), upon assessment, child minding available
  • non-credit course for adult newcomers to Canada.
  • students assessed using Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) standards and placed in an appropriate benchmark class to learn reading, writing and listening/speaking skills
  • citizenship courses offered twice a year in preparation for Canadian citizenship exam
  • evening classes offered in some locations
  • some students may qualify for child minding services and/or transportation assistance
  • computer instruction is available in some locations


Registration needed, call for detailsCoordinated Language Assessment and Referral Centre -- Call ahead to verify eligibility, book assessment appointment and confirm documents (Permanent Resident (PR) card or Landing paper with passport) to access service


Open to youth and adults 17 years and older * some programming for students aged 16 is available * must be a resident of the area served

Coordinated Language Assessment and Referral Centre -- Adults 18 years or older are eligible if they meet one of these criteria: Canadian citizens born outside of Canada; permanent resident; Convention refugees, protected persons or refugee claimants; workers admitted under the Live-In Caregiver program; applicants under other programs holding the initial letter of approval from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

Residency Requirements: Upper Canada District School Board Boundaries -- Lanark County * Leeds and Grenville United Counties * Prescott and Russell United Counties * Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry United Counties



Physical Access

Fully Accessible


None - to eligible clients