Durham Region is located in southern Ontario, in close proximity to Toronto. Many Durham residents commute to Toronto for work.
- The population of the entire region was 645, 862 in 2016, with the highest population density found in the areas of Ajax, Oshawa, Pickering and Whitby.
- The largest municipality in Durham Region is Oshawa with a population of 146, 260 (2015).
The top tourist attractions in Durham Region include Lake Ontario, Darlington Provincial Park, Jungle Cat World, Parkwood Estate, Lake Scugog and the Canadian Automotive Museum.
Durham Region’s top industries are retail trade, health care & social assistance, manufacturing, educational services, finance & insurance, construction, professional, scientific & technical services, public administration and accommodation & food services.
Major employers in Durham Region include:
- Ontario Power Generation
- Durham District School Board
- Durham Region
- Lakeridge Health
- General Motors
- Ontario Ministry of Finance
- Durham Catholic District School Board
- University of Ontario Institute of Technology
- Durham College
- Ontario Shores Centre for Medical Health Sciences