What if my Canadian citizenship certificate is lost or stolen?

Report it to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). You can apply for a new citizenship certificate.

The citizenship certificate is a letter-sized piece of paper, which certifies that you are a Canadian. It is information about you, such as your name, date of birth and sex.

It is an official legal document that proves your citizenship status. It is not an identity document or a travel document.

The citizenship certificate used to be a wallet-sized card. If you have an old style certificate, it is still valid and you don't need to apply for a replacement.

Apply for a New Citizenship Certificate

If your citizenship certificate is lost or stolen, you can apply to replace it. You can apply from inside Canada or from outside Canada.

If you are inside Canada, fill out the Application for a Citizenship Certificate (CIT 0001), submit any other required documents and pay the processing fee.

For assistance, you can call the IRCC Call Centre at 1-888-242-2100 or you can ask at a settlement agency. To find help, go to Services Near Me and search for "settlement services" in your area.

If you are outside Canada, contact the nearest Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate.

If You Do Not Want to Apply for a New Certificate Immediately

You have to submit a Solemn Declaration Concerning a Citizenship Certificate That Was Lost, Stolen, Destroyed or Never Received (CIT 0457).

For More Information

  • I lost my wallet - Information about how to cancel and replace government identification cards. From Service Ontario.
  • IRCC Help Centre - A tool that helps answer frequently asked questions on immigration matters. It offers several ways of searching through the information available, including search by keyword. From Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
Last updated: June 21, 2017 4000513