Skip Breadcrumb Links
My bills are bigger than my income and I can't seem to pay off my debts. Could I get help?
Personal debt can harm your credit rating and cause you stress. You can get help managing debt from a credit counselling service. You can find credit counselling services at private businesses and not-for-profit agencies.
A credit counsellor or credit counselling service can help you:
- Manage your financial resources and debts.
- Help you decrease your spending.
- Develop a realistic budget.
- Contact creditors to arrange smaller or easier payments for you, for example, through a debt management program.
To find help, go to Services Near Me and search for "credit counselling" in your area.
For More Information
- Credit Counselling and Debt Settlement Services - This resource covers the differences between non-profit credit counsellors and debt settlement companies, how they work, the rules they must follow, and the legal rights of people who use their services. From CLEO (Community Legal Education Ontario).
- Collection Agency: Your Rights - This webpage explains what a collection agency is and what you should do if one contacts you. From Consumer Protection Ontario.
- Dealing with Debt: A Consumer's Guide - This booklet may help you decide whether or not you have a serious debt problem. It also gives some suggestions for solving your difficulties and avoiding them in the future. From the Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy.
- Ontario Credit and Debt Counselling Services - A directory of Ontario credit counselling services. From the Ontario Association of Credit Counselling Services.
- Monthly Budget Tracker [PDF] - This booklet makes it easy to track (record) your fixed and variable spending. Knowing how you spend your money is the first step in creating a realistic budget. From Credit Canada.
- My Money in Canada - This site provides information about Canada’s financial system and positive money management habits. Interactive exercises and checklists allow you to make informed choices and create customized financial plans. From Prosper Canada.
July 10, 2023