How can I help my child learn English?

Ask for language help at your child's school or a settlement agency.

According to the Ontario government, language support is available at Ontario elementary and secondary schools for children who:

  • Do not speak English or French as their first language, or
  • Speak a variety of English or French that is different from the language used in Ontario schools.

Many schools have English as a Second Language (ESL) classes for students.

Some Ontario schools have newcomer reception centres that will assess your child's language skills and help you find a school that meets their ESL needs.

To find out what language programs are available, contact your local school board or your child's school.

You can also encourage your child to practice their English skills at a youth English conversation circle or a homework club. Many settlement agencies and libraries offer these programs. To find help, go to Services Near Me and search for "settlement services" in your area.

For More Information

  • Newcomers' Guides to Education - Information about Ontario's publicly-funded school system. These guides are available in many different languages.
  • Who does what in Ontario's public education system? - This tip sheet has information about the people involved in Ontario schools, including the school board, the EQAO, school council, teacher and principal. Available in more than 10 languages.
  • ESL Corner - This section on Settlement.Org has many activities to help you improve your English and learn more about Canadian culture, laws and daily life.
Last updated: October 29, 2015 4001527