Where can I get information about regulated professions?

Some professions are regulated in Ontario to protect public health and safety. That means you must have a license or certification to work in those fields.

To get a license in a regulated profession, you must go through a specific registration process with the profession's regulatory body. Registration processes may involve many requirements and can be very complicated, time-consuming and expensive.


You can find the regulatory bodies for regulated professions below.

*Note: Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) now includes Chartered Accountant (CA), Chartered General Account (CGA) and Chartered Management Accountant (CMA) designations

Career Maps

You may also be able to see a career map for your occupation. A career map is a guide that can help you understand the steps of the licensing registration process, as well as the language requirements, industry trends, labour market conditions, credential assessment process, licensing fees and other important information related to your original occupation. It can help you determine which steps you need to take to work in your field.

For More Information

  • Working in Ontario - Information about getting licensed in your profession or trade, bridging programs, credential assessment and more. From the Ontario Immigration website.
  • Global Experience Ontario - An information service for internationally-trained professionals. Find out how to apply to a regulatory body to obtain licensure to work in your field. It is run by the government of Ontario.
  • Health Force Ontario - Provides information for internationally-trained health care professionals. Find information about the assessment, upgrading, education, bridging and language programs you might need to practice in Ontario. It is run by the government of Ontario.
  • Information on Specific Occupations - This site has information on many professions for internationally-trained professional and focuses on practice and licensing requirements, regulatory bodies and qualifications assessment. From the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC).
Last updated: June 7, 2018 4001583