Which professions are regulated in Ontario?

Some professions are regulated in Canada to protect public health and safety. That means that you must have a licence to work in these professions.

Some professions in the list have a career map, which has general information about that profession in Ontario and explains the requirements for becoming licensed.

Non-Health Professions

  • Chartered Professional Accountant
  • Agrologist
  • Architect - Career Map
  • Engineer - Career Map
  • Engineering Technician or Technologist - Career Map
  • Early Childhood Educator - Career Map
  • Forester - Career Map
  • Geoscientist - Career Map
  • Human Resources Professional
  • Insurance Broker
  • Land Surveyor - Career Map
  • Lawyer - Career Map
  • Paralegal
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Social Worker or Social Service Worker - Career Map
  • Teacher, Elementary or Secondary School - Career Map
  • Translator, Conference Interpreter or Court Interpreter

Health Professions

Find a list of regulatory bodies for these professions on the Office of the Fairness Commissioner website.

Find a list of unregulated professions in Ontario.

For More Information

  • Job Bank - Use this to find the name of your occupation in Canada, find out if it is regulated and get labour market information.
  • Working in Ontario - Information about getting licensed in your profession or trade, bridging programs, credential assessment and more. From the Ontario Immigration website.
  • Global Experience Ontario - An information service for internationally-trained professionals. Find out how to apply to a regulatory body to obtain licensure to work in your field. It is run by the government of Ontario.
  • Health Force Ontario - Has information for internationally-trained health care professionals. Find information about the assessment, upgrading, education, bridging and language programs you might need to practice in Ontario. It is run by the government of Ontario.
  • Information on Specific Occupations - A collection of information sheets on many professions for internationally-trained professionals. Each sheet contains information on practice and licensing requirements, regulatory bodies and qualifications assessment. From the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC).
Last updated: November 14, 2016 4001108