Skip Breadcrumb Links
How do I choose a family doctor?
When you choose a family doctor, you might think about:
- Is the doctor accepting new patients?
- Can you make appointments at a convenient time?
- Do you prefer a male or female doctor?
- Do you prefer a doctor who speaks your language?
- Does the doctor answer your questions clearly?
- Does the doctor explain your options for treatment?
- Is there a medical lab where basic tests can be done?
- Which hospital does the doctor send patients to?
You may also want to check with the Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons to see if the doctor you are considering has received any disciplinary action.
There is a shortage of family doctors in many areas in Ontario. You may not have many choices. If you are not able to find a family doctor immediately, there are other health care options.
For More Information
September 29, 2016