Skip Breadcrumb Links
How can I look for rental housing?
There are many different ways you can look for an apartment or house to rent
in Ontario. Here are some examples:
Look in community centres, laundromats, grocery stores and other local
businesses. If you are a student, check the boards at college and
university housing services.
The advertisement section of major daily newspapers and weekly
community newspapers have list rentals. You can read the newspaper for free at public
libraries. Many newspapers let you search their classifieds ads online for
free. Find your local community newspaper's website.
Family and Friends
Many people find places to rent through personal contacts. Ask your friends, family, co-workers and others if they know of any places that are available.
These guides are free. Look for them in boxes on
street corners or in store entrances.
Rental Listing Websites
There are many websites that list rentals. Here are some examples and you can use a search engine to find others.
* These listings are for your information only. Settlement.Org does not recommend or endorse any particular listing.
These are private companies that search for housing for you. There
is usually a fee for this service.
Walk around neighbourhoods that interest you and look for signs that say
or "Vacancy" in front of apartment
buildings or in house windows. Even if there is no sign, you can ask if any apartments are available or will become available soon. Ask if you can be put on a
Housing help centres and community agencies maintain lists of rentals. To find help in your area, go to Services Near Me.
For More Information
- Choosing a Safe Place to Live - Tips to help you choose a safe neighbourhood and building to live in.
- Child-Friendly Neighbourhoods - Information about how to choose a healthy neighbourhood for children.
- Settling in Canada - Profiles of some of Canada's major cities and regions.
- Understanding "For Rent" Ads - This brochure explains some of the most common terms and abbreviations used in rental ads.
- Find Housing Help in Ontario - This website lists housing help centres across Ontario. These centres can help you find affordable housing and access financial and social supports. From the Housing Help Association of Ontario.
- Rent With Confidence - This website lists rental properties that have been certified by the Federation of Rental Housing Providers of Ontario. To be certified, a building must show that it meets certain standards of practice.
September 15, 2017