I am married to my sponsor but don’t have PR yet. Can I work in Canada?

You can apply for an open work permit if you and your spouse or common-law partner both live in Canada. You also need to have a valid temporary resident status in Canada.

An open work permit allows people with temporary resident status to legally work in Canada. This permit is possible under a pilot program that runs until December 21, 2017.

How to Apply

To apply for an open work permit you have to complete the application on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) webpage. The application process is different depending on your status in Canada.

  • If you have submitted a permanent residence (PR) application but have not received an approval, you can mail an open work permit application.
  • If you have received a letter from IRCC approving your permanent residence application in principle, you can apply for an open work permit online. You may also need to complete other checks before you receive your PR status.
  • If you are submitting a permanent residence application or a sponsorship application, you can mail an open work permit application at the same time.

With any type of application, you need to include the Application fees.

If you have already received an open work permit, make sure you apply for an extension before the expiry date.

For More Information

Last updated: December 20, 2016 4006198