Skip Breadcrumb Links
Have you been fired or laid off?
If you have been fired or laid off with no notice, or no pay, your employer may be breaking the law. Find out about your rights under the Ontario Employment Standards Act (ESA).
This article covers topics such as:
- Getting notice and/or termination pay when you are laid off
- Your eligibility for Employment Insurance (EI) benefits
- Pregnancy and employment rights
- Filing an Employment Standards Act (ESA) claim
- Your rights if you are part of a union
- Getting help if you have been fired or laid off
Some workers are not covered by the Employment Standards Act (ESA). If you are not sure if you are covered you can call the Employment Standards Information Centre. You can speak to someone in your language on this phone line.
If you think you have been unfairly fired or laid off, you can get help from a community legal clinic.
Download in English or French
These files are in Adobe Acrobat format. You need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to view these files.
Produced by CLEO (Community Legal Education Ontario).