Skip Breadcrumb Links
What kind of private health insurance can I buy?
Your employer may have an insurance plan that you can buy. Insurance companies can also sell you a plan.
Your employer may have an insurance plan that you can buy. This plan can pay for some costs not covered by OHIP. You pay for this plan by paying a fee each month. Your employer will pay for part of the cost and you pay the rest.
Sometimes unions and professional associations have plans for their members.
You can also buy insurance from a private company.
What does private insurance cover?
Many private health insurance plans pay for:
- Extended health care (prescription drugs, medical supplies, hearing aids, vision care, semi-private or private room in hospital, chiropractic and registered massage therapy)
- Dental services
- Disability income if you develop a serious health condition and can no longer work
- Critical illness coverage (for illnesses like cancer)
- Travel insurance
- The cost to have your body returned home if you die
- The cost for a prosthetic device if you lose an arm or leg
For More Information
September 09, 2015
- Guide to Supplementary Health Insurance - This booklet is about health insurance that supplements your public coverage, including information to help you decide what supplementary health insurance you need.
- OmbudService for Life & Health Insurance (OLHI) - An independent complaint resolution and information service for consumers of Canadian life and health insurance products and services.
- Insurance Finder - A list of insurance providers organized by type of insurance. From the OmbudService for Life & Health Insurance.
- Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association (CLHIA) - Represents more than 80 private insurance companies in Canada. The CLHIA website describes the different types of insurance products, services, and CLHIA publications.
- OHIP Coverage Waiting Period - Information about the 3-month waiting period for Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) coverage. From the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.