How can I apply to immigrate to Ontario?

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) establishes immigration policy and makes decisions on who can enter Canada.

If you want to immigrate to Canada, you need to apply through CIC. The type of application you make, depends on which immigration program you want to apply under.

Immigration Programs

You can apply for permanent residence under the following categories:

Some caregivers are also able to apply for permanent residence.

You can apply for temporary residence under the following categories:


All applications are evaluated on specific requirements and regulations.

You may need to meet certain health and security requirements. For example, you may have to get a medical examination or undergo a background check to show if you have any past arrests or convictions.

CIC may also want to interview you or see other documentation.

How to Apply

Depending on the immigration category, applications are either made from outside or inside Canada.

Visit CIC's website for more information about how to apply and where to send your application.

Usually, you have to pay a fee for each application you make. If your application is refused, you will not get a refund. Information and other assistance at CIC offices is free.

If you are in Canada, you can call the CIC Call Centre for more information about your situation at 1-888-242-2100. You can also get assistance from a settlement agency. To find a settlement agency in your area, go to Services Near Me.

For More Information

  • Come to Canada - A tool that can help you figure out what your options are if you want to come to Canada as an immigrant, student, worker or visitor. From Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
  • CIC Help Centre - A tool that helps answer frequently asked questions on immigration matters. It offers several ways of searching through the information available, including search by keyword. From Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
  • Canadian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate - A list of Canadian visa offices outside of Canada.
  • Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) - An independent tribunal that is responsible for hearing refugee claims and appeals.
  • Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) - The federal agency responsible for border (port-of-entry) services, customs and enforcement of some immigration laws in Canada.
Last updated: July 08, 2015 4000345