How can I sponsor a family member to immigrate to Canada?

Family Class immigrants are people sponsored to come to, or remain in Canada by a relative who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.

You may be able to sponsor spouses or common-law partners who want to become permanent residents of Canada if they live outside of Canada or if they live in Canada with you and have legal immigration status; for example temporary worker or visitor.

You, as the sponsor, must meet certain eligibility criteria, and the people you sponsor must also meet some eligibility factors.

Find the correct sponsorship process for you:

Important Note:

  • Since March 2, 2012, if you entered Canada as a sponsored spouse or partner you are not eligible to sponsor a new spouse or partner for a period of 5 years from the date you landed in Canada. Find out more information about this change from IRCC.
  • Since October 25, 2012, if you applied to come to Canada as a sponsored spouse or partner, you may be subject to a 2-year conditional permanent resident status; there are some exceptions to this new condition. Find out more information about the conditional permanent residence from IRCC.

For More Information

  • Do you want to sponsor your family to join you in Canada? - This fact sheet has information about sponsorship and supporting sponsored family members. From CLEO (Community Legal Education Ontario).
  • IRCC Help Centre - A tool that helps answer frequently asked questions on immigration matters. It offers several ways of searching through the information available, including search by keyword. From Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
Last updated: July 11, 2016 4000349