Skip Breadcrumb Links
What is the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa?
It is a long-term, multiple-entry visa for parents and grandparents of permanent residents or Canadian citizens.
The Parent and Grandparent Super Visa (Super Visa) is a temporary resident permit that allows parents and grandparents to stay for up to 2 years in Canada per visit. It is valid for up to 10 years.
A regular multiple-entry visa is also valid for up to 10 years, but only allows stays of up to 6 months per visit.
Who is eligible for this visa?
This visa is for parents and grandparents of permanent residents or Canadian citizens.
The parent or grandparent must be considered admissible to Canada and meet other conditions.
For example, applicants need a letter of financial support from their child or grandchild in Canada, who meets the minimum required income.
Applicants also need to purchase and show proof of Canadian medical insurance that meets the minimum requirements and covers them for at least 1 year.
The process is different if the parent or grandparent is from a country where a visa is required to enter Canada as a visitor.
How can my family members apply?
Visit IRCC's website for more information on how to apply for a Super Visa.
What if my parents or grandparents want to stay permanently in Canada?
They can apply for permanent residence outside Canada.
For More Information
- Parent and Grandparent Super Visa - Information about who is eligible for this visa, how to apply, how to extend your stay, and frequently asked questions. From Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
- Visiting Canada - Information about how to apply for a visitor's visa, how you can extend your stay, and answers to frequently asked questions.
- Do you want to sponsor your family to join you in Canada? - This fact sheet has information about sponsorship and supporting sponsored family members. From CLEO (Community Legal Education Ontario).
- Family Class Immigration Overview - General information about sponsoring family members to come to Canada. From Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
- IRCC Help Centre - A tool that helps answer frequently asked questions on immigration matters. It offers several ways of searching through the information available, including search by keyword. From Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
July 13, 2016