Skip Breadcrumb Links
Fire Prevention Week 2020
Monday, October 5, 2020
As part of Fire Prevention Week 2020, Ontario's Office of the Fire Marshal encourages all Ontarians to take action to ensure they are safe from kitchen fires at home. The theme of this year's Fire Prevention Week is "Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen."
Simple steps to stay safe in the kitchen include:
- Always stay in the kitchen when cooking and turn the stove completely off if you must leave.
- Keep a proper fitting lid near the stove. If a pot of oil catches fire, slide the lid over the pot and turn off the stove. Do not move the pot. Never throw water on a burning pot.
- Keep anything that burns - plastic utensils, dishcloths, paper towels - a safe distance from the stove.
- Cook responsibly. To prevent cooking fires, you must be alert. You are not alert if you have consumed alcohol or drugs.
- Wear tight-fitted clothing or roll up your sleeves when using the stove. Loose, dangling clothing can easily catch fire.
- Keep young kids one metre away from the stove. Turn pot handles away from the stove's edge so pots can't easily be knocked off.
- If you burn yourself while cooking, run cool water over the wound for three to five minutes. If the burn is severe, seek medical attention.
You can read more about Fire Safety Week 2020 on the Ontario.ca website.