How do I apply for admission to a university or college?

Each school (college or university) can decide on admission requirements and select which students to accept.

Generally, you can apply to a college or university in 1 of these categories:

  • "Domestic" student - You are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
  • International or "Foreign" student - You are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. You will need a study permit.

Generally, international students must pay a higher tuition rate for college and university programs. In some cases, the tuition is double or triple the amount that domestic students pay.

Some colleges and universities have different tuition rates for children and dependents of diplomats, and children or dependents of people with some kinds of work permit.

In Ontario, all children 18 years old and younger can attend public elementary and secondary schools, regardless of their immigration status or the status of their parents. However, this law does not apply to colleges and universities.

Apply to a University

To apply to an Ontario university, you must submit your application to the Ontario Universities' Application Centre (OUAC). The OUAC processes application for all Ontario universities.

The deadline to apply depends on whether you are currently in high school, and which kind of program you are applying to. For example, professional programs usually have different deadlines than undergraduate (Bachelor's) programs. You can find information about application deadlines on the OUAC website.

Apply to a College

To apply to an Ontario college, you must submit your application to the Ontario College Application Service (OCAS). OCAS processes the applications for public colleges in Ontario. If you are accepted to a college, you also send your response to the OCAS. The OCAS will respond to the college for you.

Unlike universities, colleges do not have the same kind of final application deadline. Generally, colleges consider all applications that they receive by a certain date together; after that date, they consider applications on a first-come, first-served basis. You can find out information about the application dates on the OCAS webpage - When to Apply.

You can contact a community agency for more information. To find help, go to Services Near Me and search for "settlement services" in your area.

For More Information

Last updated: September 26, 2016 4001152