How do I renew my study permit?

Important note: Several regulation changes for international students came into place June 1, 2014. Therefore, the rules may be different than when you first applied for your study permit.

As an international student, you are technically considered a "visitor" in Canada. The expectation is that you will leave Canada when you have completed your studies unless you apply to immigrate.

If your study situation changes while you are in Canada, you must notify IRCC. You may need to change the conditions of your permit or renew (extend) it.

Your study permit is only valid for a maximum of 90 days after you finish your studies. When your visa expires, you cannot stay in Canada unless you have a valid work permit or other authorization to stay. You should apply for a change of conditions or renewal before your permit expires.

You can apply online or by mail.

For more information, visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website or call them (if you are in Canada) at 1-888-242-2100.

The international student office at your school may also be able to give you some information, however only authorized representatives can provide advice on immigration matters.

For More Information

Last updated: July 13, 2016 4001163