Skip Breadcrumb Links
What are my responsibilities as a patient?
As a patient or health care consumer in Ontario, you have both rights and responsibilities. Your responsibilities are not described in any law.
You have an important role to play in your own health care. You can call these responsibilities, but they are not described in any law.
- Choose an appropriate health care provider.
- Use health care resources responsibly.
- Keep an accurate history of your personal medical information.
- Participate in health care decisions and ask questions if you need more information.
- Follow instructions for medication and other treatments.
- Report your concerns about health care professionals to regulatory organizations.
- Respect the rights of others seeking health care.
- Make healthy choices about your lifestyle and habits.
You are entitled to all of the patient rights that are described in Ontario laws, even if you do not follow these "responsibilities."
For More Information
October 28, 2015