Skip Breadcrumb Links
Should I come to Canada as a skilled worker?
This is a question that any immigrant should ask themselves before, during and after the immigration process.
You might be eligible to immigrate, but is it the right decision for you? How will it affect your career? How will it affect your family?
The immigration application process and the point system is not a true measure of how successful you will be when you land in Canada.
It is not easy to find work in Canada. Many newcomers are successful, but many are frustrated by how difficult it is to find work. Read more in How hard is it to find work in Ontario?
You might want to work in a non-regulated job in your field first. This can be a good way to use your skills and get Canadian work experience.
It is a good idea to do a lot of research and planning before you immigrate - even before you apply to immigrate. Settlement.Org has a lot of information about finding work, school for you or your children, costs of living, getting free services to help you settle and more.
If possible, contact other people who are coming or have already settled in Ontario. Visit our Discussion Forum to post your questions and read about others' experiences.
For More Information
- Skilled Workers and Professionals - Information on selection criteria and how to apply. From Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
- IRCC Help Centre - A tool that helps answer frequently asked questions on immigration matters. It offers several ways of searching through the information available, including search by keyword. From Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
- Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) - The federal agency responsible for border (port-of-entry) services, customs and enforcement of some immigration laws in Canada.
- Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) - The federal department responsible for Canadian immigration, refugees and citizenship. Its website has information on immigration policy, programs and services, application kits, and more.
- Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) - An independent tribunal that is responsible for hearing refugee claims and appeals.
June 10, 2021