Has your child been charged with a crime?

A child who has been charged with a crime needs legal advice from a lawyer who is an expert in criminal law. It is best if the lawyer is experienced with youth criminal law. It is a good idea to be informed and involved with your child's case.

You can find more information in this fact sheet, including:

  • Will my child have to go to court?
  • What can I expect from my child's lawyer?
  • Can my child keep on going to school?
  • Will the charges be a problem for my child in the future?
  • What if I am asked to pay the costs of what my child did?
  • How to get help

For more information about youth and the justice system, see CLEO's Youth Criminal Law website.

Produced by CLEO (Community Legal Education Ontario).

Last updated: July 10, 2023 1004775