How can I get help from the police?

If you have an emergency, call 9-1-1. If it is not an emergency, use the police non-emergency phone number.

In an Emergency

Call 9-1-1 to:

  • Stop a crime
  • Save a life
  • In any emergency situation
  • Whenever you need the police immediately

You can also talk to a police officer on the street.

For more information, go to How can I get help in an emergency?

If it is Not an Emergency

You can call the police to report a crime or to ask for assistance in a non-emergency, such as:

  • A noisy party
  • To report vandalism or theft
  • To report finding a wallet or credit card or other item
  • Fraud and Identity theft
  • Parking complaints
  • To find out about road closures

To find contact information for your local police:

  • Services Near Me - Look under "Community Services." Search for "Police."
  • List of Ontario Municipalities - A list of links to official websites of Ontario municipalities. From the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing.
  • Look online for the non-emergency phone number of your local police services.
  • Approach a police officer on the street.

When You Call the Police

Police will take some basic information from you, such as your name, address, and phone number. They may also ask for some general information about the crime or situation you are calling about. In some cases, an officer will come to your home or somewhere you feel safe, to get more detailed information. You can get an interpreter to help you.

If you want to report a crime but do not want to leave personal information, you can call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477. You do not have to give your name when you call Crime Stoppers.

For More Information

Last updated: August 18, 2016 4001332