Some professions are regulated in Ontario to protect public health and safety. That means that you must have a licence to work in these professions.

It can be very complicated, time-consuming and expensive to get a licence to work in a regulated profession in Ontario.

If you can find a non-regulated job in the same or a related field, you can:

  • Use your knowledge and skills
  • Learn terminology
  • Get valuable Canadian work experience
  • Develop professional networks

On Settlement.Org we call this an “alternative job.” You may decide to stay in an alternative job or use this experience to help you get licensed in your original occupation.

How to Use This Section

Get up to 5 alternative jobs for certain regulated professions.

Read and compare key information about each job, including:

  • On-the-job duties
  • The education and experience employers expect
  • Labour market information
  • Skill and language training programs

Watch videos of newcomers talking about their experiences of entering and working in an alternative job. These videos reflect the participants’ personal experiences and choices. Your situation and experiences may be different.

Ask questions and share your experience with other newcomers in our Discussion Forum.

The Alternative Jobs resource is available in French at Etablissement.Org.


We would like to thank the following organizations for their expertise and assistance:

We would like to thank the following employers for their cooperation and support in the making of the videos:

  • Algonquin College
  • City of Windsor
  • Exclusive Care Services
  • Ontario Dental Assistants Association
  • Paramed Home Health Care Agency
  • Public Health Agency of Canada
  • Red Rover Studios
  • S.E.N.A.C.A. Seniors Day Program
  • Sheridan College
  • Sorbara, Schumacher, McCann LLP
  • The Elementa Group