Open Work Permit Pilot Program Extended for Spousal Sponsorship

Thursday, December 21, 2017

If your spouse or common-law partner is in Canada and is applying for permanent residence they may be eligible for an open work permit.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has extended the Open Work Permit Pilot to January 31, 2019. The pilot program allows eligible spouses and common-law partners of Canadians or Permanent Residents to get an open work permit while their inland sponsorship application for permanent residence is being processed.

To be eligible for an open work permit you must:

  • Be a spouse or common-law partner living in Canada.
  • Have a valid temporary resident status (visitor, student, or worker).
  • Live in the same address as your sponsor. 

To see the latest notice on the pilot program visit the  IRCC Newsroom.