What are settlement services?

Settlement services support immigrants and refugees to Canada. They can help you settle and adjust to your new life in Canada.

Settlement services can include:

These services are free and are always confidential.

Settlement agencies may also be called immigrant, refugee or newcomer services. Many settlement agencies have staff who can speak languages other than English. If the agency you go to does not have a program, service or language you need, they will help you find another agency that does. You may be able to access settlement services at your local library or through your child’s school.

It is important to know that agencies have certain eligibility requirements that you have to meet to use their services. You might have to live in a certain area or they may not serve people with Canadian citizenship. It is a good idea to contact them first before making a visit. Some agencies offer intake appointments to help ensure you make the most of your visit. 

You can search for "settlement services" in your area on Services Near Me or call the 211 helplines and ask for the agency closest to you. The Ontario 211 service is a free helpline and online database of Ontario's community and social services; they offer support in over 150 languages. 

For More Information

  • 211 Ontario - Search for settlement and other community services all over Ontario.
  • WelcomeOntario - A refugee assistance information website created to bring together trustworthy information for those helping refugees settle in Ontario.
  • NewYouth.ca - An information and referral website for newcomer (immigrant and refugee) youth across Ontario. Get information about school, law, work, health and more. It is a project of the Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants (OCASI).
  • ServiceOntario - An agency of the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services which provides a single point of contact for most Government of Ontario services.
Last updated: April 6, 2022 4000108