What financial assistance is available for child care?

Child care can be very expensive and costs vary quite a bit, depending on the type of care provided. Infants are generally more expensive than older children. Large cities also tend to be more expensive.

You can contact 2-1-1 to learn about local child care services and financial assistance available to you where you live. Parents who cannot afford these costs can apply for assistance through municipal government fee subsidies. You must meet certain income and employment criteria to be eligible for fee subsidy and to maintain that subsidy.

There is generally a waiting list for funding so you should apply well in advance of when you will require assistance. Contact your local municipality for more information about obtaining a child care subsidy and for waiting list times.

Government Benefits

The federal government offers many families the Canada Child Benefit (CCB). The CCB is a tax-free monthly payment that helps eligible families with the cost of raising children under the age of 18. You can obtain the Canada Child Benefit Application online or by contacting your local Canada Revenue Agency office.

You may also be eligible for the Ontario Child Benefit. If you have registered for the Canada Child Benefit, the Canada Revenue Agency will determine whether you are eligible for this benefit when you file a tax return. Eligible families will receive the Ontario Child Benefit with their Canada Child Benefit monthly payments.

For More Information

  • Financial Support for Child Care - Information on government subsidies and grants for families in Ontario. From the Ministry of Education.
  • Canada Child Benefits Application - The application form for the CCB, including an explanation of the application process and requirements. From Canada Revenue Agency.
  • Having a Baby - Information for benefits and information for new parents. From Service Canada.
  • List of municipalities in Ontario - A listing of the websites and contact information for municipalities in Ontario. Each municipality has information about childcare subsidies.
Last updated: April 14, 2020 4006024