How do I get a Canadian passport for my child from inside Canada?

You must fill out an application, collect the required documents and submit them all by mail or in person with the required fees.

If you want to apply for your child's Canadian passport from outside Canada, read How do I get a Canadian passport for my child from outside Canada?

Children over the age of 16 must apply for their own passports - Read How can I get my Canadian passport?

Application Form

You can download the application [PDF] or pick it up at a Passport Canada office. You can also pick up application forms from a participating Service Canada Centre or post office.

Required Documents

You will need to submit the following:

  • Both pages of the application form completed, signed within the last 12 months, and certified by your guarantor;
  • Two (2) identical passport photos of the child, one certified by your guarantor;
  • Proof of Canadian citizenship;
  • Proof of parentage;
  • Any valid Canadian passport or travel document previously issued to the child;
  • Proof of legal guardianship, if applicable; and
  • All documents that refer to custody or mobility of, or access to, the child.


  • Only original documents are accepted and they will be returned to you.
  • Additional documents or information may be requested.
  • All documents submitted in a language other than English or French must be accompanied by a translation from a certified translatorFind out more.

Submit the Application

You can submit the application, supporting documents and required fees in 2 ways:

Visit the Passport Canada website for detailed information about how long it will take to process the application and how to request urgent processing.


For general questions, check the Frequently Asked Questions section for child passport applications on the Passport Canada website.

If you have specific questions about your situation, contact Passport Canada at 1-800-567-6868.

Many community agencies can help you apply for a passport. To find help, go to Services Near Me and search for "settlement services" in your area.

For More Information

Last updated: May 12, 2021 4001393