Skip Breadcrumb Links
How do I get a Canadian passport for my child from outside Canada?
You must fill out an application, collect the required documents and submit them all with the required fees.
If you want to apply for your child's Canadian passport from within Canada, read How do I get a Canadian passport for my child from inside Canada?
Children over the age of 16 must apply for their own passports - Read How can I get my Canadian passport from outside Canada?
The application form varies depending on where you are applying from:
You can also pick up an application form at your nearest Government of Canada office abroad.
You will need to submit the following:
Both pages of the application form completed, signed within the last 12 months, and certified by your guarantor;
- Two (2) identical passport photos of the child, one certified by your guarantor;
- Proof of Canadian citizenship;
- Proof of parentage (new requirement as of October 1, 2012);
- Any valid Canadian passport or travel document previously issued to the child;
- Proof of legal guardianship, if applicable; and
- All documents that refer to custody or mobility of, or access to, the child.
- Only original documents are accepted and they will be returned to you.
- Additional documents or information may be requested.
- All documents submitted in a language other than English or French must be accompanied by a translation from a certified translator. Find out more.
The processing fees vary depending on where you are applying from:
Submit the Application
If you are in the United States, you can only submit by mail your application, supporting documents and required fees. You cannot take the application to a Government of Canada office in the US. Since you will be sending original documents, you should use a courier or mail service that allows you to track your mail in case it is misplaced.
If you are in another country other than the US, you must submit your application to the nearest Government of Canada office abroad.
Visit the Passport Canada website for detailed information about how long it will take to process the application and how to request urgent processing.
For general questions, check the Frequently Asked Questions section for child passport applications on the Passport Canada website.
If you have specific questions about your situation, contact Passport Canada at 1-800-567-6868.
For More Information
July 27, 2021