How do I register my child for OHIP?

Depending on where your child was born, the OHIP application process may be different..

If your child was born outside of Canada, and is eligible for the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) you will need to apply for a Health Card (OHIP) online or at a Service Ontario location.

If your child was born in Canada, there are two different ways to register them for OHIP depending on where they were born. Your child may be eligible for OHIP even if you are not.

If your child was born in an Ontario hospital or at an Ontario home attended by a registered midwife

You must complete an Ontario Health Coverage Infant Registration form. Hospital staff or a registered midwife will give you this form soon after your child is born.

For this form, you will need to:

  • Provide your child’s name, birth date and mailing address.
  • Confirm that your child’s primary place of residence will be Ontario.
  • Confirm that your child will be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period.

Detach the bottom of the form and keep it for your records. It contains the Health Card (OHIP) number assigned to your child.

You can use this portion of the form to access health services for your child until you receive a plastic OHIP card for your child by mail.

If your child was born elsewhere in Ontario

You can apply for your child's Health Card (OHIP) in the following way:

Many settlement agencies can help you apply for your child's Health Card (OHIP). To find a settlement agency in your area, go to Services Near Me.

For More Information

Last updated: October 24, 2022 4001630