Who is eligible for OHIP?

Some people are not eligible for OHIP. With certain exceptions, to qualify for OHIP, you must meet all of the minimum qualifications.

To be eligible to apply for OHIP, you must be able to answer "yes" to:

  • All statements in Part A; and
  • At least 1 statement in Part B.

Part A

You must be able to answer "yes" to each of these statements:

  • Your principal home is in Ontario.
  • You were not away from Ontario for more than 30 days during the first 6 months that you lived here. That means you must be in Ontario for 153 days of the first 183 days that you live in Ontario.
  • You are in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period.

Part B

You must be able to answer "yes" to at least 1 of these statements:

Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents

  • You are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (including recently adopted children).
  • You are a "protected person," also called a convention refugee.
  • You are registered as an Indian under the Indian Act. (This is for aboriginal people of Canada.)
  • You applied for permanent residence and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada. This means that you have "approval-in-principle."

Foreign Workers and Their Families

  • You have a work permit that is valid for at least 6 months and are working full-time for an employer in Ontario. 
  • You have a valid work permit under the federal Live-In Caregiver program.
  • You hold a valid work permit under the federal Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program.
  • You are a foreign clergy member who will serve a religious congregation in Ontario for at least 6 months.
  • Your spouse or same-sex partner is a foreign worker who is eligible for OHIP.
  • You are the dependent child of a foreign worker who is eligible for OHIP.

Other Temporary Residents

  • You and your family came to Canada under the Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel (CUAET) pathway
    • You can apply for coverage as soon as you arrive in Ontario..
  • You have a Temporary Resident Permit with case type 80 (for adoption only), 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 or 95.

You and all members of your family, including babies and children, must have your own health coverage. Each eligible person gets their own Health Card. Carry your Health Card with you. You need to show it every time you need medical services.

Ministry of Health staff can help you determine if you are eligible for Ontario health coverage. Call the ministry INFOline:

  • In Ontario:1-866-532-3161
  • In Toronto: 416-314-5518
  • TTY: 1-800-387-5559

Hours of operation: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. You can also email through this contact form

For information about how to apply, go to How do I apply for a Health Card?

Many community agencies can help answer your questions about OHIP. To find help, go to Services Near Me and search for "community health centres" or "settlement services" in your area.

Am I eligible for OHIP+?

OHIP+ covers many prescription medicines for people under 25. If you or your children meet the eligibility criteria for OHIP and are 24 or under, you are automatically covered by OHIP+. 

For More Information

Last updated: April 20, 2022 4001239