How do I get a marriage licence?

You can apply for a marriage licence at municipal offices and city halls.

In Ontario, you must get a marriage licence before you get married. It is only valid for 90 days, so you must apply for your marriage licence within 3 months of the day you plan to get married. In general, you can get a marriage licence on the same day that you apply.

On your wedding day, you must give your marriage licence to the officiant (the person performing the marriage).

A marriage licence is different from a marriage certificate. You apply for a marriage certificate after you get married.

Apply for a Marriage Licence

Follow these steps to apply for a marriage licence:

Identification Documents

Check with your municipal office or city hall about which documents they will accept and how many documents you need to show.

Generally, you can show a current passport, a Record of Immigrant Landing or a Canadian citizenship certificate. You also need to bring photo identification that shows your current legal name and age.

You need to show documents for both people and they must be originals (no photocopies).

If You Are Divorced

If you were divorced in Canada, you must show the original or court-certified copy of the final decree, final judgment or certificate of divorce.

If you were divorced outside of Canada, you must get authorization from the Office of the Registrar General before you can get a marriage licence. This process may take a few weeks. You must send specific documents.

Contact the Office of the Registrar General at 1-800-461-2156 for more details.

If You Are Widowed

You do not need to submit a death certificate when you apply for a marriage licence.

If You Are 16 or 17 Years Old

If you are 16 or 17 years old, you must get written consent from your parents to marry.

If you are less than 16 years old, you may not get married in Ontario.

For More Information

  • Getting Married - Information about marriage licences, marriage certificates and more from the Government of Ontario.
  • Planning Your Shared Future - Tips and information about financial planning and managing your money with a spouse. From the Investor Education Fund.
  • Sponsoring Your Family - General information from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) about sponsoring a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner to immigrate to Canada.
Last updated: May 24, 2023 4001018