Who can get married in Ontario?

You must meet certain eligibility requirements to get married in Ontario. These requirements apply to both partners.

You and your partner must meet the following requirements [PDF]:

  • You both must be at least 16 years old. If you are under 18 years old, you may marry if you have written consent from your parents or legal guardians.
  • Marriage is voluntary, and you both must willingly give your consent to be married. You cannot be forced into marriage, regardless of your age.
  • You may marry someone of the same or opposite sex. Same-sex marriages (marriages between 2 men or 2 women) have been legal in Ontario since 2003.
  • You cannot be close relatives by blood or adoption (grandparent-grandchild, parent-child, brothers-sisters).
  • You both must be physically present to be married. You cannot get married by telephone, webcam or by proxy.
  • You both must not be currently married. If you are divorced, you must show proof of your divorce when you apply for a marriage licence.

To get married in Ontario, you do not have to be a Canadian citizen or live in Ontario. The first step to getting married in Ontario is to get a marriage license. For more information, read How do I get a marriage license in Ontario?

If You Are Already Married

Marriages by proxy that are performed in another country's embassy or consulate in Canada are not valid in Canada, and are not valid sponsorship relationships.

If you got married by proxy outside of Canada in a place that allows proxy marriage, this might be a valid sponsorship relationship.

Find information about how Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) recognizes foreign marriages.

For More Information

  • Getting Married - Information about marriage licences, marriage certificates and more from the Government of Ontario.
  • Getting Married - Tips and information about financial planning and managing your money with a spouse. From the Ontario Securities Commission.
  • Sponsoring Your Family - General information about sponsoring a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner to immigrate to Canada. From Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
Last updated: January 16, 2024 4001017