Skip Breadcrumb Links
What financial assistance is available for seniors?
The federal government has various income security or financial assistance programs specifically for seniors.
Many seniors in Canada get income through federal programs. Most programs have a minimum age limit, usually between 55 - 65.
Some of the most important programs include:
You must meet specific residency or contribution requirements to be eligible for these programs. Some newcomers do not qualify for these financial assistance programs.
However, some newcomers might qualify for International Benefits. Canada has social security agreements with various countries that help senior newcomers qualify for pensions from Canada and those countries.
You might qualify for these benefits if:
- You lived and worked in a country that has an agreement with Canada; and
- You paid into the social security plan of that country.
You can contact a community agency for more information about financial assistance for seniors. To find help, go to Services Near Me and search for "seniors" in your area.
For More Information
- Public Pensions - For Seniors - Information on the Canada Pension Plan, Old Age Security pension and related benefits, the Canadian retirement income calculator and retirement planning. From Service Canada.
- Seniors - Canada Revenue Agency - A Canada Revenue Agency webpage with information and topics specifically for seniors. Includes information on retirement savings, tax credits for seniors and information for non-resident seniors.
- Ontario Benefits Directory - This is a resource for government benefit programs for Ontario residents.
- Planning for Retirement - Tips and information about retirement goals, saving and investing. From the Investor Education Fund.
- A Guide to Programs and Services for Seniors in Ontario - Information about programs and services for Ontario seniors from the Ontario government, community organizations and service providers. Available in many languages.
- CLEO - Seniors - Clear language brochures and booklets on legal topics affecting seniors.
- Benefits Wayfinder - This bilingual one-stop portal lets you search for federal, provincial, and territorial benefits, as well as COVID-19 related resources. From Prosper Canada.
May 11, 2023