How do I file my tax return?

There are different ways to file your tax return. Some ways may process your refund faster.

By Mail

You can fill out a paper return and mail it to your local tax services office. You can order a paper return online or you can download tax forms from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) website.

You will get your refund in about 4 - 6 weeks if applicable.


Use NETFILE to file your return online. You cannot use this service if you are filing your tax return in Canada for the first time unless the CRA has your birthdate on file. There are also other NETFILE eligibility requirements.

You must use NETFILE-certified software. Some software is free.

If applicable, you will get your refund in about two weeks.

Other Options

Visit the CRA website for more details about your filing options.

You can also contact a community agency about how to file your return. To find help, go to Services Near Me and search for "settlement services" in your area.

Canadian residency for tax purposes is not the same as residency for immigration purposes. Find out more in Do I have to file a tax return?

For More Information

  • Newcomers to Canada - This guide is for first time tax filers in Canada. It will help you determine if you are a resident for tax purposes, which is not the same as residency for immigration purposes. From the CRA.
  • Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) - The federal agency responsible for administering tax, benefits and related programs across the country. Their website provides detailed information about tax-related issues.
  • General Income Tax and Benefit Package - A collection of forms and information sheets which you need to file your income tax return. From the CRA.
  • Ontario Tax Credits and Benefits - Learn about the different tax credits and benefits you can get to help you with living costs when you file your income tax return. From the Ministry of Finance.
Last updated: April 8, 2024 4001374