What happens after I file my tax return?

After you file your tax return the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will review the information you submitted and confirm the calculations are correct. They may compare your return with information received from third parties, such as your employers and financial institutions.

If you are owed a refund, you will get a direct deposit into your bank account. You can expect your tax return in about 2 weeks if you used NETFILE, and 4 - 6 weeks if you filed it by mail.

If you owe a balance (greater than C$2), you must pay by April 30. If this date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or a holiday recognized by the CRA, you must send it on the next business day. If you do not pay your balance on time, you will be charged interest. The CRA's website has more information about how to make a payment.

If you owe a balance and do not file your taxes on time, you will be charged a late-filing penalty and interest. See information about CRA penalties and interest rates.

When you file your tax return, the federal government determines if you are eligible for benefits, such as the Canada Child Benefit (CCB), the Ontario Child Benefit, or the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) credit.

Canadian residency for tax purposes is not the same as residency for immigration purposes. Find out more in Do I have to file a tax return?

For More Information

  • Newcomers to Canada - This guide is for first time tax filers in Canada. It will help you determine if you are a resident for tax purposes, which is not the same as residency for immigration purposes. From the CRA.
  • Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) - The federal agency responsible for administering tax, benefits and related programs across the country. Their website provides detailed information about tax-related issues.
  • Frequently Asked Questions about Individual Taxation - Information and answers about tax rates and how to file your return. From the CRA.
  • General Income Tax and Benefit Package - A collection of forms and information sheets which you need to file your income tax return. From the CRA.
  • Ontario Tax Credits and Benefits - Learn about the different tax credits and benefits you can get to help you with living costs when you file your income tax return. From the Ministry of Finance.
  • Worried that the Canada Revenue Agency got it wrong? - The CRA is committed to explaining decisions and assessments, addressing concerns, and helping clients understand and meet tax obligations. From the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
Last updated: April 7, 2022 4001377