Skip Breadcrumb Links
Where can I do my shopping?
There are different types of stores in Ontario:
- Large department stores carry a variety of items, such as clothing, furniture, electronics, and cosmetics.
- Supermarkets sell mostly food and some cleaning supplies and other necessities.
- Specialty stores sell particular products or types of products, such as hardware or shoes.
- Small convenience stores (or corner stores) carry basic necessities, such as milk or bread.
Stores may be part of a chain or franchise. While others are independently owned.
Check each store for its hours of service and policies around returning or exchanging items.
For More Information
- Competition Bureau Consumer Information Page - This government website has information to help consumers to make informed decisions and protect themselves from scams. There is also an online complaint form.
- Consumer Reports - A database of consumer reports for a variety of products. Search by keyword.
- Farmer's Markets in Ontario - The directory lists farmers' markets across Ontario.
- Monthly Budget Tracker [PDF] - This booklet makes it easy to track (record) your fixed and variable spending. Knowing how you spend your money is the first step in creating a realistic budget.
April 2, 2020