I am an international (foreign) student. Can I get financial assistance?

Unfortunately there is very little financial assistance available to international students.

You should contact the government of your country of citizenship or the financial aid office of the school you wish to attend to get information about financial assistance.

Some scholarships and bursaries are open to international students as well as domestic students. There may also be employment opportunities for graduate students, such as teaching assistantships or research assistantships.

Common types of financial assistance are:

  • Scholarships
  • Bursaries
  • Awards
  • Grants
  • Fellowships
  • Loans

Sometimes the student is expected to return some or all of the money or contribute in another way, such as through volunteering or writing an essay.

Refugees and Protected Persons

Protected persons/convention refugees can apply for a Canada Student Loan. You need a Protected Person Status Document (PPSD) and a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to apply. Both these documents must be valid for your entire period of study.

To apply for the Canada Student Loan, you must apply through the provincial financial assistance provider, OSAP. Find more information about the Canada Student Loan.

Some charities, community organizations and private foundations give out scholarships for refugees.

For More Information

Last updated: March 7, 2022 4001159