Who is eligible for the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)?

Eligibility for OSAP is based on your immigration status, your ties to Ontario and your income.

Immigration Status

To be eligible to apply for financial assistance from the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP), you must be a:

  • Canadian citizen;
  • Permanent resident; or
  • Protected person or convention refugee.

If you are studying in Canada using a study permit (if you are an international student), you are not eligible for OSAP. However, you might be eligible for financial assistance from your college or university.

Residency in Ontario

You must meet certain requirements to be considered a resident of Ontario for OSAP purposes. You may also be eligible if your spouse or parent(s) meet certain residency requirements.

If you do not meet OSAP's Ontario residency requirements you may still be eligible. You may have to provide a detailed explanation in your History of Canadian Residency form and submit the required documents that support your residency.

If you have lived in another province, you must contact that province's student assistance program.

Income Requirements

You can only be eligible for OSAP if you don’t have enough money from other sources to cover your college or university expenses. The income that you report to OSAP generally needs to match what you reported to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) when you filed your taxes.

There are also other requirements related to your income.

How much will I receive?

You can use this online calculator to help you see how much financial assistance you could be eligible to receive from the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).

Some students, such as those with disabilities or who receive social assistance, may be eligible for additional student aid.

For More Information

  • Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) - OSAP is the main source of financial aid for post-secondary education in Ontario. This website provides information about the program and how to apply. From the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development.
  • Canada Student Loans and Grants - The federal government provides student financial assistance in the form of loans and grants. From the Government of Canada.
  • Financial Aid Offices in Ontario - A list of financial aid offices at Ontario colleges, universities and private post-secondary institutions. Compiled by the Ontario Student Assistant Program (OSAP).
  • Studying in Canada - Information for people planning to come to Canada as international students. From Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
Last updated: December 17, 2018 4001161