Skip Breadcrumb Links
How can a high school student get help choosing courses?
Parents and guidance counsellors help high school students make
decisions about courses, careers and opportunities after graduation.
In secondary school, parents are expected to help their children choose courses each year. The courses that students choose can affect their opportunities in higher grades and after they leave high school.
It is also possible for your child to speak to the school's guidance counsellor. The counsellor will talk
to your child about his or her previous schooling, interests and goals for
after graduation. The counsellor will help your child choose the
When helping your child choose courses,
the guidance counsellor will consider:
- The match between what your
child has already learned and what he or she is expected to learn in
secondary school in Ontario.
- Your child's skills, abilities
- Reports cards and other
documents you provide that describe what your child learned previously.
- The results of the
mathematics and language assessments.
- The number of years your
child has been in school.
For more information about
choosing courses, speak to a teacher or the
Many community agencies can help you find information about school for your children.
To find help, go to Services Near Me and search for "settlement services" in your area.
For More Information
- High School Courses and Choices - This question and answer sheet will help you prepare your child for secondary school. Available in more than 10 languages.
- Student Success Program - This brochure has information about special programs for high school students in Ontario. The programs are designed to help students succeed and graduate. You can get it in more than 20 languages. It is by the Ministry of Education.
- Local School Boards - A list of local school boards across Ontario.
- Private Elementary and Secondary Schools - Search for a specific private school or get a complete list of all private schools in Ontario.
- Newcomer Reception Centres for Schools - A list of school newcomer reception centres where students get assessed before starting school and parents can get information.
- Homework Help – Homework Help is a free online math tutoring service for Ontario students in grades 7-10 and their parents. From TVO.
October 29, 2015