Where can I get information about regulated professions?

Some professions are regulated in Ontario to protect public health and safety. That means you must have a license or certification to work in those fields.

To get a license in a regulated profession, you must go through a specific registration process with the profession's regulatory body. Registration processes may involve many requirements and can be very complicated, time-consuming and expensive.


You can find the regulatory bodies for regulated professions below.

*Note: Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) now includes Chartered Accountant (CA), Chartered General Account (CGA) and Chartered Management Accountant (CMA) designations

For More Information

  • Working in Ontario - Information about getting licensed in your profession or trade, bridging programs, credential assessment and more. From the Ontario Immigration website.
  • Global Experience Ontario - An information service for internationally-trained professionals. Find out how to apply to a regulatory body to obtain licensure to work in your field. It is run by the government of Ontario.
  • Health Force Ontario - Provides information for internationally-trained health care professionals. Find information about the assessment, upgrading, education, bridging and language programs you might need to practice in Ontario. It is run by the government of Ontario.
  • Information on Specific Occupations - This site has information on many professions for internationally-trained professionals and focuses on practice and licensing requirements, regulatory bodies and qualifications assessment. From the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC).
  • Legislated Obligations and Fair Registration Best Practices Guide for Regulated Professions and Compulsory Trades - This guide only applies to the non-health professions and to Skilled Trades Ontario. From the Fairness Commissioner
Last updated: July 25, 2023 4001583