Skip Breadcrumb Links
How can I find a medical specialist?
For special health problems, such as heart disease, your family doctor may send you to a specialist. You need a referral from your family doctor to see a specialist.
Usually your family doctor can make the appointment for you.
Some examples of medical specialists are:
- Oncologist – Treats cancer patients
- Gynecologist – Treats women’s health problems
- Obstetrician – Treats pregnant women and delivers babies
- Cardiologist – Treats heart diseases
- Hematologist – Treats diseases of the blood
- Gastroenterologist – Treats diseases of the gastrointestinal tract
If you have children, you should have a pediatrician. Pediatricians specialize in the health of babies, children and youth. You can find a pediatrician in the same ways you can find a family doctor.
For More Information
- Doctor Search - An online database that allows you to search for a doctor in your area who speaks your language or who specializes in an area of medicine. It is run by the College of Physicians & Surgeons of Ontario.
- Health Care Connect - This program refers you to a local family health care provider that is accepting new patients. You need to have OHIP to use this service. It is run by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
November 4, 2015