How much does it cost to get care from a midwife?

Midwives are funded to provide care to all residents of their catchment area, regardless of whether or not you have OHIP.

A resident is a person who maintains an address in the catchment area and includes their baby(ies). Each midwife clinic has a catchment area, a geographic area that you must live in to be served by them.

Midwifery services are covered for uninsured clients, and there is funding for consultations and labs, but there are a number of other expenses that uninsured clients may face. Midwives may give clients this handout [PDF] which explains what services are covered while clients are in midwifery care, and what they will still have to pay out of pocket for (e.g. hospital stays). They can support you in planning for possible costs, and help you understand how the health system works during your pregnancy.

With a midwife, you may be able to give birth at home or at a birth centre. Most normal, low-risk pregnancies are eligible to safely and legally have a home birth. This is a lower cost option, because you will not have to pay hospital fees.

Hospital Birth

If you do not have OHIP and you have your baby at a hospital, you have to pay for the hospital fees. The cost depends on the hospital and if the midwifery clinic's relationship with the hospital.

If you are considered a high-risk pregnancy a midwife may not be able to continue to care for you or deliver the baby depending on your situation. For most, this means a hospital birth is required and often caesarean section or c-section may be necessary. If you do not have OHIP, the cost of a hospital stay depends on the type of care you and your baby require. If you need to deliver in the hospital it can $4500-8000 but some midwife clients may not have to pay all of these fees.

Some midwives can help you negotiate the costs and payment plans for hospital and doctor care.

If you will be outside of Ontario for the birth, you should check to see if you will have to pay for midwife and other pregnancy related services. It's a good idea to ask your midwife or the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care for more information before you travel.

For More Information

Last updated: February 26, 2024 4001336