Where can I get help with my mental health?

It is important that you take care of your mental health, just like you take care of your physical health. There are different mental health and wellness professionals & programs that can help you improve and maintain your mental health.

If you are in crisis, you can call or text 9-8-8, connecting you with the national mental health crisis and suicide prevention team. Anyone in crisis who is unable to call safely or prefers texting is able to obtain counselling any time of the day for free.

Mental Health Professionals

If you have a family doctor, they can help you diagnose and manage some mental health problems. Depending on your situation, your family doctor may refer you to a specialist.

Mental health professionals can diagnose, treat, and help your mental health. These professionals do this with therapy, counselling, and medication, often using a combination of these. They can help you to understand, explain and shift your mindset and manage problematic behaviours. In therapy, you have the opportunity to express your feelings openly and confidentially.

Mental health professionals are:

  • Psychiatrists - Medical doctors who can prescribe medication. Their services are covered by OHIP. To go to a psychiatrist, you need a referral from a family doctor.
  • Psychologists - Cannot prescribe medication. Their services are not covered by OHIP. If you have private health insurance, your benefits may cover some psychologist services. Psychologists are registered with the College of Psychologists of Ontario.
  • Counsellors and therapists - Provide psychological counselling, but cannot prescribe medication. They often have a background in social work. Their services are not covered by OHIP. If you have private health insurance, your benefits may cover some counselling services. Counsellors and therapists may be members of a voluntary professional association, such as the Canadian Counselling Association.

Mental health professionals often work with a team of other professionals, including social workers, occupational therapists and community nurses, to help you with your mental health or illness.

Find a Mental Health Professional

It is important that you connect with someone who will help you but also fit in your budget. Many private practices charge fees that are often quite expensive. You may have private insurance with your employer that may cover some costs. You can also connect with your healthcare provider to see what options you have in your community.

Many community services and programs can help you with your mental health. To search for community services in your area, go to Services Near Me or 211 Ontario.

If you are in crisis, go to your nearest emergency room or call 911 for an ambulance.

For More Information

  • Can crisis counselling help me with trauma? - This type of counselling provides you with emotional and psychological support to ensure that you remain safe during a crisis. From Settlement.Org
  • What is a Psychologist? - Explains what psychologists do, where they work and what training is required to become a psychologist. From the Canadian Psychological Association.
  • Mental Health for Newcomer Youth - You can find youth mental health information and referrals from NewYouth.ca, a website for young newcomers to Ontario.
  • Children’s Mental Health Ontario (CMHO) - This portal can help you find the nearest treatment centre for children's mental health problems. From Children's Mental Health Ontario.
  • Human Rights and Mental Health - Information about your rights, if you have a mental health disability or an addiction. It looks at your rights in the workplace, housing and accessing services. From the Ontario Human Rights Commission.
Last updated: November 29, 2023 4001310