Skip Breadcrumb Links
Guide: Indigenous Peoples in Toronto - An Introduction for Newcomers
Toronto has a diverse culture that attracts people from all over the world. That cultural diversity dates back thousands of years to the Indigenous peoples of Turtle Island (North America).
To help you better understand Canada’s Indigenous history, the City of Toronto, in collaboration with the Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants (OCASI), created the Indigenous Peoples in Toronto - An Introduction for Newcomers guide. The guide is an easy-to-understand introduction to the rich history, cultures and perspectives of the First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples.
In this guide, you will find:
Read the Indigenous Peoples in Toronto - An Introduction for Newcomers guide now.
- information on Indigenous history in Toronto
- teachings on the contemporary lives of the Indigenous populations of Ontario
- tools to help you respectfully interact with different cultures (in particular with Indigenous Peoples) and gain cultural awareness
- suggestions on places you and your family can visit to learn about Indigenous Peoples
- ideas on how to build relationships with Indigenous communities
August 2, 2023