Skip Breadcrumb Links
How can I get my biometrics done for my application?
If you are requested to submit biometrics (fingerprints and photo) to confirm your identity as part of your visa or immigration application, you may access biometrics services at designated Service Canada locations and many major points of entry to Canada. This applies even if your application is being processed overseas.
Please note as of December 3, 2019, you need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) if you’re applying within Canada as a:
- foreign worker (including extending your work permit)
- international student (including extending your study permit)
- visa-required visitor (including extending your stay)
- permanent resident
Why do I need to submit my biometrics for my application?
The Canadian government uses your biometrics when reviewing your application or when you arrive at the border to:
- confirm your identity
- resolve issues with your identity, if someone else has a similar name or birthdate or birth location
- compare them to anyone existing in the The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) records (e.g. criminals, deportees)
You may need to submit your biometrics multiple times if you apply for different visas or permanent residence multiple times.
How long does the government keep my biometrics?
If your application is pending, your biometrics will be kept for at least 15 years.
If you application is approved, and you do NOT have Canadian citizenship yet, your biometrics will be kept until you are 80 years old.
If you application is rejected, withdrawn, or abandoned, your biometrics will be kept:
- Until you are 100 years old if you were rejected for a serious security concern
- For 10 years if you were rejected for misrepresenting yourself or a situation,
- For 5 years if you were rejected for health, financial reasons or non-compliance, or if you abandon or withdraw your application.
If you become a Canadian citizen, your biometrics will be deleted.
How do I get my biometrics?
Pay the biometrics fee:
- Individual - $85
- Families - $170 (maximum)
- Groups of 3 or more performing artists and their staff - $255 (maximum)
- There is no fee for a transit visa
Get the confirmation letter and your passport
Once you pay the fee above, you will get a confirmation letter. You will need this letter and your valid passport to get your biometrics.
Visit a designated biometrics collection service point to get your biometrics collected.
For More Information
December 6, 2019