How long does it take to process my immigration application?

There is no standard time to process your application. It depends on where you send your application and what type of application it is.

On Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada's website, you can find the current application processing times. These times are updated regularly so you should check often.

For some applications, you can check the status of your application online.

Some immigration applications are processed in Canada by a Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Case Processing Centre.

Other applications are processed outside Canada by a visa office. The processing time at each visa office can be very different.

Follow these tips so that your application is not delayed:

  • Fill out all sections of the application completely and follow the process that IRCC recommends.
  • Make sure your application has all the necessary information, including supporting documents and any required translations.
  • Tell IRCC as soon as possible if your situation changes, such as you move or have a child.
  • Keep your questions to the visa office to a minimum.
  • If you apply from outside Canada, send your application to the visa office in a country where you are a citizen or permanent resident.

If you are in Canada, you can call the IRCC Call Centre for more information at 1-888-242-2100.

Many community agencies can help you fill out your application. To find help, go to Services Near Me and search for "settlement services" in your area.

For More Information

  • IRCC Call Centre - A telephone service to ask general questions about immigration and applications in process inside Canada. From Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
  • IRCC Help Centre - A tool that helps answer frequently asked questions on immigration matters. It offers several ways of searching through the information available, including search by keyword. From Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
  • Canadian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate - A list of Canadian visa offices outside of Canada. From IRCC.
  • Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) - The federal agency responsible for border (port-of-entry) services, customs and enforcement of some immigration laws in Canada.
  • Canada International - Information about visiting, working in, studying in or returning to Canada. A useful site for people who wish to come to Canada temporarily. From the Government of Canada.
Last updated: June 23, 2021 4000515